Friday, March 9, 2012

High School MTB League!

WTF!! Where was this when I was a kid, oh wait I grew up in SD not much organized MTB going on there, only 2 trails with in 50ish miles or so! But we did have BMX and a dang good track at that and I loved to race and ride that beast! http://www.aberdeenbmx.com/

The cool thing is that High School MTB is growing not just here in MN but nation wide. States like Colorado, California, Texas, Washington, Virginia and now MN! They have partnered with NICA, IMBA and many local organizations and bike shops  to bring MTB to the youth and bring it some more credibility. To my understanding it is still a club sport and not school specific or affiliated but that is fine. That is how my hockey team and soccer team was growing up in SD. It might have changed since then. Actually most sports start this way and as their popularity grows then the school can look at what it will take to make it school specific and each school getting their own team and coach.

I don't know a whole lot about it yet. The kick off meeting is this Sunday at QBP from 6pm -8pm I will know more after that. I am hoping to be an assistant coach or at least a ride leader this year and work my way up to being a head coach. I will have to see what it takes and how much it will cost. Money is very tight right now with the major life changes going on. House purchase 2/29/12 and wedding coming up on 6/2/12!  There is a lot on my plate right now to say the least.

Here is the link to the MN Highschool MTB league and a nice write up on singletracks.com

I'll fill you in as I know more!

Keep it real!

No comments:

Post a Comment